Montreal Impact 3, Los Angeles Football Club 5 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
LAFC scored after halftime through Benny Feilhaber, an own goal, Carlos Vela and Latif Blessing, deciding a game that already had plenty of talking points by the break. Montreal's Ignacio Piatti hit a first-half hat trick and Laurent Ciman scored on a stunning free-kick in his return his old ground.
LAFC have scored three times and conceded three times in half of their six matches played so far, all on the road as they look toward their home opener at brand-new Banc of California Stadium on April 29.
Meanwhile, Montreal have lost three in a row and five of seven this season while allowing 12 goals in their last three matches. Seven of those were conceded while coach Remi Garde's played down a man.
- 9' - MTL - Ignacio Piatti Watch
- 16' - MTL - Ignacio Piatti (PK) Watch
- 24' - LAFC - Laurent Ciman Watch
- 43' - MTL - Ignacio Piatti Watch
- 52' - LAFC - Benny Feilhaber Watch
- 57' - LAFC - Jukka Raitala (OG) Watch
- 83' - LAFC - Carlos Vela (PK) Watch
- 89' - LAFC - Latif Blessing Watch
- THE BIG PICTURE: It's hard to be picky of winning four games out of six on the road, but LAFC coach Bob Bradley will know his team's defense must get better. Meanwhile, the Impact are becoming the latest MLS team that need to keep all their players on the field, after Seattle struggled with red cards earlier this season.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: For all the matches Impact fans may have cheered on Ciman as their own at Stade Saputo, it's doubtful they ever knew he could strike a ball as pure as on his 30-yard rocket free kick to pull LAFC to within 2-1. It was Ciman's first regular-season goal since scoring the winner in Montreal's 1-0 victory over Seattle on July 25, 2015.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: It's a rare thing that a losing player is worthy of man of the match honors, but who was more worthy than Piatti after his first MLS hat trick? He drew and converted a penalty for his second goal and 50th of his MLS career. He scored a third with Montreal reduced to 10, and nearly had a fourth with a very late strike off the crossbar..