Montreal Impact 2, Chicago Fire FC 2 | 2020 MLS Match Recap
The Fire (4W-7L-4D) opened the scoring in the 15th minute thanks to an error from Impact goalkeeper Clement Diop. While trying to build from the back, the Senegal international passed from his own six-yard box straight to Fire midfielder Djordje Mihailovic just outside the 18-yard box. The 21-year-old passed the ball forward to Robert Beric who netted his fifth goal in as many games.
The Impact (5W-8L-2D) answered back seven minutes later. Bojan moved the ball up from the left flank and took a shot from the top of the box. Fire goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth saved the Catalan's attempt, but Lassi Lappalainen grabbed Shuttleworth's rebound to find the equalizer.
Maxi Urruti found a go-ahead goal in the second half. Zachary Brault-Guillard made a run on the right side and took a shot from the top of the 18-yard box which was deflected toward the penalty spot by Miguel Angel Navarro. Urruti took the opportunity to tap the ball towards the far post and give his team the 2-1 lead.
However, the Fire weren't done yet. From the right flank, Alvaro Medran, who had recently subbed in, sent a cross that was tipped by Diop, but eventually met Francisco Calvo's head for a powerful equalizer.
- 15' — CHI — Robert Beric | WATCH
- 22' — MTL — Lassi Lappalainen | WATCH
- 67' — MTL — Maximiliano Urruti | WATCH
- 73' — CHI — Francisco Calvo | WATCH
- THE BIG PICTURE: The Fire extended their unbeaten streak to three and gained at least one point after being up 1-0 early in the game. On their end, the Impact snap their four-game losing streak. In addition, Thierry Henry's squad did not let the Fire, who are below them in the Eastern Conference table, grab all three points and gain ground on them.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: Calvo must've felt good about the new contract extension as the Costa Rican defender scored the critical equalizer with this header off a Medran service.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Bojan offered the offensive flair that the Impact needed of him for a long time. The Catalan took the opportunity in the first half to take a shot that led to Lappalainen's goal